When it comes to babies, each and everything related them needs great care. From the clothes, they were to the food they need makes parents go in cautious mode 24/7. They need attention all the time.
We think multiple times when we purchase something for them. One such thing is pillows. Since it deals with the head part, we are more concern whether the kid is getting proper support or not.
Now, comes the complicated part. Kids should not use regular pillows that adults use. They have toddlers pillow manufactured exclusively for them. Why can’t kids use toddler pillows?
The answer is adult pillows are designed in a way that they support adults head and neck. This theory will not work in case of kids since kids do not have the same proportions as an adult.
Thus, using a regular pillow can cause strain on the kid’s neck and shoulders. This can lead to discomfort and bad posture.
Kid’s pillows are known as Toddler pillows or Infant Pillows. If you have a newly born you will need one in no long time. To help you a hand in your situation we have prepared a guide which will instruct you to how to choose the best head support pillow and which all are the best right now in the market.
Those you are parents for the first time, this is what you were looking for. We cover almost everything related to head support pillows and offer our suggestions for top products. But first, we would like to congratulate you on your big news and happy parenting!
There are some things which you need to consider before buying your kids a pillow. This guide will help you to settle with the right product and to get the full value of your money. The points are explained in the list below:
This goes without saying, before buying a pillow, you should check whether your toddler is allergic to wool or not. Let’s say this is the first and foremost factor to be taken into consideration.
The chances of your kid being allergic may be slim, but if the opposite is going to cost you a lot. Pick the pillow carefully and stick with the one that saves your kid from troubles.
If not carefully picked, your pillow cover material can turn out to be harmful. Usual pillow cover materials are of cotton, cotton polyester blend and synthetic fiber. Mostly the pillows come with cotton material.
You have to be alert, whether it is regular or organic cotton. Always go with the organic cotton material.
Organic cotton does not contain all the harmful toxins, dyes, and bleaches, which get along with the cotton during the manufacturing process.
Save your kid from breathing all these things. You can identify these type of pillows easily since they will be marked clearly. If it is unable to find what the pillow material is, then better be cautious with it. Other regular pillow materials may cause rashes to your kid’s skin, which may later lead to significant discomfort.
It is one of the important material in which your kid’s comfort and support relies on. Some are feathers, synthetic fill, or foam.
Materials like this make it easier ti clean the pillow. Try to buy a pillow where the filling material does not make a sound as it moves around.
Materials like certain synthetic fills or like buckwheat make loud crinkling noises when your kid shifts their head. This may cause your kid to wake up in the middle of sleep.
Hypoallergenic pillows are pillows made of materials that reduce allergic reactions. Organic kids pillows are mostly hypoallergenic. Inorganic pillows have marking saying whether they are hypoallergenic or not.
Most of the kid’s pillows come with a satisfaction guarantee. Some come with a three-month warranty while some with less warranty period.
It may vary from brand to brand but usually guarantee period is to cover up torn seams, loss of shape, and poor workmanship. Look for the brand that offers a more extended guarantee period. It shows that the company is confident in its quality and is ready to stand behind it.
Pillow is all about comfort. Comfort depends on the way the pillow is. You should go with a pillow that has a balance between comfort and support. A pillow should not be either too soft nor too firm.If you press down the pillow and if it does not regain its shape, it shows the pillow is too soft. A soft pillow is dangerous for your kids as it poses a suffocation risk. Likewise, if you press down a pillow and if it does not move at all, it gives out the pillow is too firm. A firm pillow fails to provide comfort.
Thread count is the term that usually comes up when you go for bedding purchase. The threads per square inch of the fiber. The logic is higher the thread count, better and durable the pillow is. Go with the pillow that has a higher thread count since it is more comfortable and less scratchy when compared to the pillow with less thread count.
We all know that kids make things messy quickly. So there is always a need for cleaning the pillow regularly. Make sure the pillow you purchase can be cleaned easily. Check the pillow is:
- Machine Washable – Washing the pillow in the machine is one of the ways to do the cleaning. If the pillow is machine washable, it will help you in great ways. Getting the pillow a full cycle wash gives it the cleanliness it had when it was bought initially.
- Washable Pillowcase – Even if the pillow itself is not washable, make sure the pillow cover is washable. The removable pillow covers can be machine washed or hand washed, which can give the effect of a clean pillow.
Best Baby Head Support Pillows
1. Boppy Newborn Lounger (Editor’s Choice)
Boppy Newborn Lounger is must product for newborns. The pillow comes with JPMA certification and is of soft and wipeable material. The dimension size of this product is 18*7*18 inches.
It comes with a weight capacity of 16 pounds. The product does not entertain babies sleeping on it due to the risk factors. It is designed for baby’s wake time under supervision. The lounger is lightweight, making the product easy to carry around.
- The material is soft enough to offer the baby comfort.
- It is easily portable.
- The design is neat and beautiful.
- It is not machine washable.
2. Cloud Lamb Baby Protective Pillow
Cloud Lamb comes with a super soft and eco-friendly head support baby pillow. The pillow material is of organic cotton, which is dye free and chemical free. The pillow is filled with hypoallergenic polyester, which is breathable and suitable for sensitive skin.
The design is of any animal and ensures comfort. The size measures as 15*8 inches. The company recommends a hand wash for durability, but a gentle machine wash is also encouraged. The product comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- The pillow material is certified organic cotton.
- It reduces pressure on the baby’s neck and head area.
- Excess washing may lead the pillow to lose its support feature.
3. The Boppy Company 3PK
The Boppy Company 3PK is known to be one of the best support pillows for babies. It is also one of the highly recommended pillows by medical practitioners.
It is an excellent choice for head support, neck support, and also tummy time. The pillow comes with removable toys which make kids grab kids attention. It can be cleaned easily and can be machine washed too.
- Medical practitioners support this pillow.
- Removable toys quickly catch the kid’s attention.
- It has a patented string to add more toys.
- It is suitable only for kids below two years of age.
Also Read: Top 10 best baby strollers to buy in 2019
4. Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow
Little Sleepy baby pillow is a USA manufactured product. The cotton material of the pillow guarantees comfort and support. It is not that fluffy and not too flat, which is the right type of pillow.
The fills are of hypoallergenic material that saves your needs from allergies. The size is perfect for toddlers avoiding the chances of extra pressure. It is snugly enough for your toddler and easy to carry around.
- The pillow ensures durability.
- The pillow is in the appropriate size, ensuring safety and support.
- The pillow is hypoallergenic.
- The pillow is high priced.
- The pillow cover will need to be changed regularly. (based on user reviews)
5. Dordor & Gorgor CuddleME Infant Head Support with Organic Cotton
DorDor & GorGor introduces a product that is one of the tops in the market right now. Made of 100% cotton, the pillow proves to protect your kid’s sensitive skin.
It comes with colored parts and a white area. The white area is of organic cotton. The pillow comes in 2-in-1 design which performs as full body cushion and also neck support when detached.
It fits perfectly on car seats, strollers, and booster seats. The Velcro straps adapt to the growth of the baby.
- The pillow material is breathable and provides the warmth needed.
- The product is made of linen as well as cotton.
- User reviews show that the pillow may cause the baby to sweat hence wet experience for the baby.
6. Leachco Podster Sling-Style Infant Seat Lounger (Editor’s Choice)
Leachco Podster Baby Lounger is a sling-style lounger for infants. The sides are deeply contoured, which helps the baby to be in place. The sling expands accordingly with the baby’s weight.
The baby can also be seated by adjusting the pillow. The upper body alleviation supports breathing and digestion. It adapts with the baby’s growth too.
Do not leave the baby without supervision and never rest a sleeping baby on this lounger. The pillow cover is removable and can be washed easily.
- The pillow is flexible enough.
- Sling design of the pillow expands according to the baby’s weight.
- The contoured ends make sure the baby is in the right position.
7. Little One’s Pillow
Little One’s Pillow is one of the most popular pillows in the kid’s world. With a high rating and positive customer reviews, this pillow can be easily called one of the favorites.
Manufactured in the USA, the product is made of 100% certified organic cotton. The pillow filling is of unique poly cluster fiber, which is hypoallergenic.
It comes with thread counts of 200, and the pillow size is a perfect balance between thin and thick. The pillow reduces the pressure in babies and offers a comfortable sleep. The company backs this product with a replacement guarantee.
Also Read: Top 10 best baby jogging strollers to buy
- The pillow is made of chemical free material.
- It comes with a USDA certification.
- Because of the thread count, the pillow is dust mite resistant.
8. ClevaMama ClevaFoam Baby Pillow
Clevamama ClevaFoam is known as one of the luxurious baby pillows in the market due to its great support and superior comfort. The pillow is made of ClevaFoam which comes with scientific proof to prevent
Flat Head Syndrome. It is made of hypoallergenic material which is breathable and non-toxic. It has ventilation that comes in the form of holes which allow air-circulation, thus reducing heat.
The pillow and the pillow cover both are machine washable.
- The pillow is designed solely to provide comfort.
- It ensures the baby’s spine and the head is aligned.
- It is not suitable for infants since the risks are higher.
9. Infantino Prop-A-Pillar Tummy Time & Seated Support
Infantino Prop-A-Pillar is a uniquely designed product. It comes with both neck and head support pillow and also two detachable and repositionable toys. The peek and see mirror feature of the pillow engages the baby and to find interest in its reflection.
It is suitable for newborn to infants. The pillow supports the baby during tummy time, and it helps to develop neck and head muscles. It comes with a ‘C’ shaped positioner and a belt to safely strap the kid when seated. The product is backed with multiple positive user reviews and prove to be one of the adored products.
10. Boppy Noggin Head Support (Editor’s Choice)
Boppy Noggin is a top brand in the market today. The company products are adored because of its quality and durability. The product comes with a unique feature of padded sides, which prevents the kid from flat spots.
The design of the pillow avoids pressure on the baby’s neck and head areas. The cutout hole relieves the pressure from the back of the head. It has molded sides which performs as a headrest for the baby.
It can be used in the stroller, in the bouncer or even when in the swing.
- The side pads are unique features not seen in similar products.
- The cut-hole reduces pressure.
- The nest head support ensures the baby’s comfort.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- When should my kid start using a pillow? Usually, kids around the age of 18-24 months can start using pillows. But there are still debates going on based on this topic. It is dangerous for a kid under the mentioned age to use a pillow. It may cause breathing troubles and even lead to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).Our suggestion would be, if your kid’s shoulders are wider than the head, then a pillow will be of use to provide comfortable sleep. It is better to check whether the kid comfortably sleeps without a pillow. A pillow is only needed if he appears to be not comfortable.
- Is it that important not to use an adult pillow for kids?Yes, it is essential only to use a toddler pillow. Toddler pillows are exclusively designed to provide comfort for babies. Kid’s body proportions are different from adults, so an adult pillow cannot provide the needed support as well as comfort to your kids. Kids require appropriate support for maintaining good posture and development.
- Can a baby sleep with adults?No, a baby should not sleep with the adults on their bed. It increases the risk of SIDS. The chances of accidental suffocation are high. Especially adults should not sleep with babies after consuming alcohol or smoking. Adults in a deep sleep fail to hear the kid’s cry for help.
- What are the types of pillows for my toddler?There are different types of pillows for toddlers and kids. Mainly pillows are of these types:
Body Pillows – Body pillows are big-sized pillows that allow your kid to sleep with extra warmth. If your kid is not finding comfort in the pillow you found, try body pillows which perfectly fits the kid’s body.
Memory Foam Pillows – Memory Foam pillows are prevalent in adults as well as kid’s world. They create customized sleeping space for both. It alleviates pressure point further leading to an increase in comfort.
Down Pillows – Down pillows are the most popular and luxurious type of pillows. It is hard to beat the comfort these pillows offer. The secret manufacturing material says it all. They are of soft fluff that found under the bird’s feather.
Down-Alternative Pillows – Down-Alternative Pillows are the answer of those kids with allergies. It provides the support of Down Pillows without the fear of allergy troubles. Hence the name Down-Alternative Pillows.
- What is flat head pillows?Kids or toddlers will be in cot most of the time. It is the period where kids develop physically. Features like most importantly, head develops to proper shape at this duration. The flat surface of a cot has cause pressure to the kid’s body, and it may lead to the flat head syndrome.
To avoid this, specially designed flat head pillows got introduced. These type of pillows makes sure the baby gets the support it needs and sleeps in a comfortable position. It prevents breathing difficulties too.