Whether you are a beginner or a novice, mowing on the hills is a troublesome and tedious task. For completing this task adequately, it is essential that you invest money only in the best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills. It will make sure that you don’t get disappointed after investing your hard-earned money. If you are looking to buy one, but want to ensure the money spent on a quality product, then this article needs your attention. Here, we will talk about this vehicle in detail with a motive to help the readers.
- How to choose self-propelled lawn mowers for hills?
- Noise level
- Warranty period & budget
- The top 10 best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills in 2020
- 1. Lawn-Boy 17734 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (editor’s choice)
- Pros & Cons
- 2. Craftsman M275 3-in-1 High-Wheeled Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best 3-in-1 lawn mower)
- Pros & Cons
- 3. Snapper XD MAX Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mower (best noiseless lawn mower)
- Pros & Cons
- 4. Toro Recycler 20333 (best for tough lawns)
- Pros & Cons
- 5. Greenworks 40V 20-Inch Cordless Twin Force Lawn Mower (best under $600)
- Pros & Cons
- 6. Snapper CP215520HV (best for smoother turning)
- Pros & Cons
- 7. PowerSmart DB2321SR Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best bang for bucks pick)
- Pros & Cons
- 8. Ryobi RY40190 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best brushless lawn mower)
- Pros & Cons
- 9. Makita XML08PT1 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best against water)
- Pros & Cons
- 10. Troy-Bilt TB490 XP Self-Propelled Mower (best for steep hills)
- Pros & Cons
- Related posts:
How to choose self-propelled lawn mowers for hills?
Before moving further, it is ideal that you understand certain things needed to be checked. Our experienced and professional team has created this post so that the buyers can easily choose the self-propelled lawn mowers on their own. So, let’s check the important points that we have mentioned below without any further delay.
There is a chance that self-propelled lawn mower may produce lots of noise as they use gas. However, the advancement of technology has caused this equipment to work with minimal noise. So, please check out the noise level while buying a mower.
It is crucial that you check whether the self-propelled mower equips with the speed control system or not. Having this feature will let you move the vehicle at speed according to the requirement. Still, some mowers don’t come with such a feature. Please double-check this feature while buying as you have to mow on the hills.
Although lawn mowers are bulky equipment, it shouldn’t be too heavy that no one can move it. Never purchase one that is difficult to control due to its weight. The main motive behind buying a self-propelled mower is making the job convenient for the users. If it isn’t capable of performing this job, then there is no benefit of buying it.
Warranty period & budget
It is perfect to set your budget in advance and try to stay within the limit if you don’t want to put an extra burden on your pocket. Also, have a look at the warranty period and try to go for the one with maximum years. There are many lawn mowers available in the market with a warranty of up to four years.
Also Read Top 10 Best Lawn Mowers you should buy
The top 10 best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills in 2020
If you want to skip the lengthy research and testing process, then we suggest you read the next part carefully. We have tons of experts at this platform who have gone through an extreme testing process that lasts for almost 90 hours. Here, you will get access to the list of top 10 best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills in 2020 created by these professionals. Let’s check out each of them and buy on that suit your needs perfectly.
1. Lawn-Boy 17734 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (editor’s choice)
Besides being the best self-propelled lawn mower for hills in the market, the Lawn-Boy 17734 is a compact and efficient model that you can buy for enjoying mowing. This amazing mower equips with a solid Kohler XT6 OHV engine along with commercially grade features that everyone wishes for.
It offers excellent performance & easier maintenance thanks to operator-centric construction. This mower is based on the tri-cut cutting system cutting grass to a pulp. It starts electrically by turning the key, making it easier for the beginners to work with this mower. The company delivers it with a three-year warranty that gives complete peace of mind to the buyers.
The two-point height of the cut system of this mower lets the buyers adjust cutting heights according to the requirements from both sides. The state of California certifies it. The customization of mowing height is simple than ever; that is nothing less than a blessing for the beginners. Furthermore, its maintenance is free from oil changing. It is an ideal choice to make if you are looking for an easy to control self-propelled mower.
2. Craftsman M275 3-in-1 High-Wheeled Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best 3-in-1 lawn mower)
If your primary motive behind buying a self-propelled mower is cleaning the lawn for hills, then go for this model manufactured by the Craftsman brand. Backed by a powerful 159cc gas engine and a 21-inch cutting deck, this lawn mower effortlessly trims grass in a quick time.
It comes with a three-in-one system having a clip director that let the mulch bag discharge clipping with a single click. Furthermore, it is very fuel-efficient and robust enough to tackle the needs of a typical home. You won’t have to rebuy a mower for years after buying this one.
There is also an auto choke feature that ensures the first-timers can easily use this mower without making any adjustments. That’s not all; you get to choose from six different height settings that will make the cutting process more seamless.
3. Snapper XD MAX Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mower (best noiseless lawn mower)
Equipped with a solid 100-watt brushless motor, the Snapper XD MAX Lawn Mower is quite a durable and efficient option to buy. It is a serious contender that can’t be missed in any list of best self-propelled hill mowers. It is easy to use a lawnmower that completes the job without sputtering or coughing.
This lawn mower boasts a smart load sensing technology, which automatically adjusts the power as per the cutting blades’ demand. The three-in-one cutting system provides the much-needed versatility in the mowing system.
Overall, it has all the features needed for completing the mowing job on the hilly terrain. You won’t get disappointed with its performance in any manner. It will give you a complete return on the investment made.
4. Toro Recycler 20333 (best for tough lawns)
If the top three picks don’t satisfy your needs, then the Toro Recycler 20333 will complete it for sure. The company has specially manufactured this product with a motive to mow the tough hilly lawns. You will get plenty of amazing features like superior mulching performance and intuitive self-propulsion along with the awesome price.
You can’t question the name of this equipment in the list of best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills after seeing its performance. Moreover, it minimizes the storage footprint by 70% that makes this product perfect for people having a small garage. This solid product can mow through rough and tall grass in the hilly terrains.
Switching modes in this mower are quite easier, ensuring perfect operation on the lawn. There is a blade override system for stopping the blades so that the user can move away safely. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine that is popular for performance and reliability. To conclude, we can say that you will enjoy mowing on it for sure.
5. Greenworks 40V 20-Inch Cordless Twin Force Lawn Mower (best under $600)
Many people prefer buying a lawn mower with noiseless operation and longevity. If you are one of them, you can buy this model straight up and enjoy an exceptional mowing experience. It has a solid 40V brushless motor engine that mows over hills quickly and more efficiently. Also, the 7-position level height adjustment availability lets the users select cutting height as per their needs.
That’s not all; this machine provides the option to discharge the grass that you have gathered in the mulching bag. We found that it is a reliable candidate for working in the small & medium-sized hilly terrains. With the 7-in front wheels and 10-in rear wheels, added support ensures turning smoother and better.
The company delivers it with a three-year warranty period ensuring the buyers don’t have to worry about the maintenance and damage at all. You can enjoy an exceptional experience on the hilly terrains using this mower.
6. Snapper CP215520HV (best for smoother turning)
If turning matters most while mowing, then this Snapper model can fulfill your requirements quite sophistically. It equips with a commercial Honda 163cc engine ensuring perfect cutting along with exceptional & smoother turning. Furthermore, it equips with a high-grade steel mowing deck & reinforced bracing for better functioning on the hilly terrains.
On top of that, the company has added a Hi-Vac deck that trims all the grass clippings and makes the lawn look better than ever thanks to its rolled deck edge. It also has adjustment handles through which one can easily position the height of cut. It is a perfect mower for having smoother turning and providing a cleaner finish to your lawn.
This lawn mower let the users perform their job without any damage to the grass. It is a perfect option for fulfilling the rugged mowing applications. So, if you have a similar requirement and don’t want to compromise with the handling, then make a smart choice by buying this mower.
7. PowerSmart DB2321SR Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best bang for bucks pick)
If you have a small budget but want to buy an excellent product, then DB2321SR, manufactured by Power Smart brand, can be a solid choice for the best self propelled lawn mower for hills. It is the best option that you can make in the budget of US$ 300. Equip with a 170cc self-propelled engine; it can satisfy all mowing needs on hilly terrains adequately.
It comes with both mulching and side discharge features for the convenience of the rider. A collection bag is added to the rear part to make sure grass doesn’t spread on the ground. This mower has a rear-wheel-drive system that makes maneuverability easier around the hilly terrains.
Also, it equips with five different cutting positions giving you the liberty to have the desired cuts. This product is a great candidate to be included in the list of best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills thanks to its extraordinary functioning and better price. You can invest money in this mower with complete peace of mind.
8. Ryobi RY40190 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best brushless lawn mower)
Eighth on this list of best self-propelled lawn mower for hills is the Ryobi RY401090. This battery-powered device is supplied with a 40-volt lithium-ion battery, which manages to trim the lawn without making any noise.
This machine arrives with a 20” cutting swath, push-button start, and 7-height settings for easy and seamless mowing experience. The Ryobi lawn mower has a load-sensing technology that automatically detects and adjusts the speed to the terrains.
Moreover, the brand offers a 5-year warranty that is way more than most brands have to offer. Thanks to its powerful motor, this lawn mower has become every mower’s favorite toy.
9. Makita XML08PT1 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (best against water)
Makita is a lesser-known brand, which with the XML08PT1, is giving a run for the money for top-end devices available in the market. This self-propelled lawn mower is a heavy machine with a 21-inch cut, which makes trimming a less challenging job.
It boasts of the Quiet mode setting that lowers the noise while maintaining great speed control at 2,300 RPM. Furthermore, this machine has an IPX4 weather-resistant coating that couches for durability and longer life.
You can adjust the machine’s speed from 1.5 to 3 mph by merely moving the lever. All in all, this is an excellent machine for anyone looking to switch to a relatively lesser-known brand.
10. Troy-Bilt TB490 XP Self-Propelled Mower (best for steep hills)
The Troy-Bilt TB490 XP Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is the best self-propelled lawn mower for steep hills and an underrated performer when it comes to eradicating grass from hills. Powered by the mighty 190cc Honda engine, this machine ensures smoothing cutting in the steepest of slopes.
This machine is supplied with the 21-inch steel deck, allowing you to adjust the height between 1.25 to 3.75 inches. The TB490 XP is a 3-in-1 lawnmower, which provides mulching, bagging, or side discharging.
Moreover, this machine comes with a 3-year limited warranty that is common amongst the self-propelled mowers. What’s more, the automatic choke system (ACS) averts the risks of engine flooding.
- What is a self-propelled lawnmower?
Self-propelled mowers reduce human efforts in trimming yards/hills or anything. Unlike the traditional mowers — lawnmowers, which require an operator, self-propelled machines operate without requiring a hand. These come in different variants — front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. If you’ve been living in those hilly regions, the all-wheel drive is the go-to option.
- How to adjust speed on a self-propelled lawnmower?
Self-propelled mowers are not that complicated to operate; however, few cannot use it to the fullest. One of the tasks many fail to understand is the — adjusting speed on a mower. Here’s how you can do it;
- Ensure the engine is cold.
- Turn the lever to the choke position
- Next, turn the throttle lever to the fast position after the engine turns warm.
- There will be a button to control the blade control lever in a few self-propelled lawn mowers — push that.
- Lastly, move the level to a fast or slow position to change the speed of the mower.
- Make sure that you switch the settings to slow before switching off the engine.
- Can you push a self-propelled lawnmower?
Yes! A self-propelled lawnmower can be pushed on an array of terrains. However, this task is a bit demanding. Since these come loaded with features, machines like these carry enormous amounts of weight instead of the standard push mowers.
- How to fix self-propelled lawn mower cable?
Before you start with the cleaning process, here are a few tools that you require the most — gloves, plastic bag, bungee cord, wire cutter, small needle-nose pliers, and nut driver set. Follow these steps below to fix the cable of your self-propelled lawn mower:
- Disconnect the plug: A self-propelled machine comes with a spark plug — disconnect it.
- Release the cable: Your lawn mower has the handle where you’ll have a cable clip — pivot it up. This allows you to release the cable from the mower handle.
- Drive cover: It is time you find out the fuel tank, which can be done by removing the top. Use a plastic sandwich bag to place it over the opening of the tank. Now, reinstall the top. Slightly tilt the mower by lifting the front wheel and secure it with the handle. Unscrew the screws that are holding the bottom drive cover. Slowly release the machine’s handle and lower it down carefully to place it in an upright position.
- Remove the cable: Detach the drive cable end. Remove the cable from the anchor post.
- Connecting a new cable: Carry the same process when applied for removing the cable to fix a new cable. Next, push the sheath of the drive cable to the transmission lever.
- Reinstallation of the drive cover: Place the drive cover in the same position. Soon after placing it, adjust the height adjustment lever. Use the driver to cover top mounting screws for reinstallation.
- New drive cable: This is another cable that is required for installation. Connect this with the control lever by snapping it with the drive cable clip. Install it with the ends of the cable tie trimmed properly.
- Connect the plug: Finally, connect the spark plug wire with the spark plug. Voila! You are now done with the fixing and replacement of a new cable.
Our experts have chosen the products in this list of best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills after a careful study of reviews and testing process. Based on tried and tested experience, you can go with the Lawn-Boy 17734. However, if you are looking to go with the most reviewed one on Amazon— Greenworks 40V is up for grabs as well.
You can choose any of them as per your needs and have an excellent experience. If there is a question in your mind, then tell us in the comment section.