There is no doubt that a good massage after a long day at work is very relaxing. But, who has the time to go to a massage parlor after spending most of the day at work? Massage chairs can give you the same massaging experience by replicating the techniques. They offer a very comforting experience. But the real problem is finding the best massage chair. A massage chair can be considered a luxury item. It is like having a spa right at your home, whenever you feel the need to relax its right there.
A massage chair is a mechanical chair that uses airbags and other functions to give you a complete body massage. You get the freedom of choosing your customized massage within a few settings away. According to APA (American Psychological Association), 77% of people experience stress-induced physical symptoms, and 73% of the psychological symptoms are because of stress. These massage chairs can help you in this situation to an extent.
TYPES OF MASSAGE CHAIRS
To start from the basics, it is essential to know about different kinds of chairs. Each type with specific kind of massage. Below are the few types of comfort giving chairs :
1. SHIATSU MASSAGE CHAIR
This chair offers unique Shiatsu Massage, which is a form that originated from Japan. It targets the pressure points of the body inducing relaxation and reducing pain.
2. RECLINING CHAIR
All modern chairs come in a reclining position. It is that position that is most effective, and we feel the most relaxed. Massage chairs come in flexible degrees of reclines, which can be changed according to your comfort.
3. ZERO GRAVITY MASSAGE CHAIR
Zero Gravity Massage Chair is the one that reclines to an extent where you feel weightless. This feature gives it the name ‘zero gravity.’ This chair helps you in reaching a high level of relaxation and gives you good circulation.
4. VIBRATING CHAIR
Vibrating Chairs are the basic kind of chairs. Almost every chair comes with this feature. It vibrates electronically that gives you the feeling of getting a massage.
COMMON FEATURES IN A MASSAGE CHAIR
Below we are listing some features of massage chair that will give you an idea of how they work. This is a general list; not every massage chairs come with these features. Find the most common features of almost every massage chairs below:
- Massage techniques such as shiatsu, kneading, knocking, rolling, tapping, and flapping
- Vibrating airbags
- Body scanner
- Adjustable height
- Foot roller massage
- Zero gravity reclining function
- One year+ warranty
- Data and memory storage
ADVANTAGES OF HAVING A MASSAGE CHAIR
Now let’s discuss the benefits of having a massage chair:
1. Stress Relief
Stress Relief is the main reason that people rely on a massage chair. Studies prove that massage gives you relief from stress. You can get stress from your daily life; from work, relationships, commitments, school, etc. you need to unwind all these stress for a healthy life. These Chairs gives you more energy, and it completely changes your outlook on life.
2. Better Posture
There is a discussion going on that whether massages lead to good posture. This is true only when it is done in the right way. Massages certainly focus on posture, massage chairs too. Using a massage chair regularly can make you flexible and makes you feel more relaxed. This significantly affects your posture. You find that you are no more slouching, not rolling your shoulders, and you start you sit up straight. This is because of the specific techniques that massage chairs offer.
3. Chronic Pain Relief
Another big reason for people to buy a massage chair is that they suffer from chronic pain. Usually, they experience pain in their joints, back, or neck. If you are suffering from any of these pain, then you should have a massage chair at home which can help you get a massage therapy whenever you need without going to a spa or clinic. Studies are showing that massages can reduce such pains. Since massage chairs are as effective as the massage performed from human, massage chairs can come to rescue at these situations.
4. Improved Circulation
Using a massage chair for a while can result in improved blood circulation. You feel more active and awake after a good massage. This is one of the main advantages of a massage chair. Zero gravity chair performs well in this condition. People who don’t get enough exercise or are in a situation where they cannot leave their house, a gentle massage which keeps them active throughout the day since it enhances blood circulation.
IS IT WORTH THE PRICE?
Here comes the big question- is buying a massage chair worth it?
Since these chairs come at a high price, many people are not sure whether they should make the purchase. They indeed cost a lot, but what satisfied users say is that it is all worth the money.
It is not a fancy item to have in your house, but the health benefits of these chairs are worth paying for. They are advanced and indeed a cool product you can trust spending your money. The benefits of these chairs may save you money in the future.
When you are relaxed and stress-free, there is less chance for the need to go to a doctor. Thus fewer health issues, less health expenses. We would strongly recommend you to go with the choice of buying these massage chairs.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND BEFORE BUYING A MASSAGE CHAIR
It is always better to think well before you buy something new. Same goes with the massage chairs. Here are some things to need you to keep in mind before you go for the purchase:
- Consider space
Massage chairs are big. Even the smallest chair comes in the size of a regular armchair. Therefore, it is important to make sure you have enough space for a massage chair. Also, keep in mind that folding massage chairs need more space than regular chairs. They require certain space in the folded form and even more in extended form.
- Size of the chair
You need to find whether the massage chair fits you before you go with your decision. These chairs come in different sizes and frames. Most of them are built with common users in mind. So they can accommodate both tall and short customers. Even though, double check whether the chair is comfortable for you, or else you will end with the wrong choice.
Watch this video to understand how to buy
- Type of massage these chairs offer massage chairs come with different types of massage techniques. Some user may enjoy them all, but some go looking for a specific type of massage. Here are some types of massage most chairs offer:
- Kneading – This technique is highly advised for pain relief, for tight muscles, and increasing flexibility. It involves the compression of soft tissues against each other or underlying bones.
- Tapping – Tapping is a massage technique performed to stimulate muscles. This stimulates the pounding and striking actions replicating a professional massage technique with their fists. It stimulates the blood circulation and increases the tissue elasticity and local blood circulation.
- Rolling – Rolling involves the lifting and rolling of the skin with fingers and thumbs. Massage chairs use rollers for performing this technique. It is used to treat muscular tension, to loosen the skin, and for providing a relaxing effect.
- Shiatsu – Shiatsu is one of the most popular and effective massage techniques. It is performed by applying palms, thumbs, and hands against specific stress points. It promotes relaxation and muscle relief. Massage chairs perform shiatsu with the help for airbags and rollers.
- Special Techniques – Techniques like heated massage, spinal relief, yoga, reflexology, muscle stretch, and combo are some of the special techniques to attract customers. These features may vary from model to model. Each of these techniques has its pros and advantages.
All these features can be a bit overwhelming. If you are not familiar with these features or techniques, you can go with the model that comes with more techniques. Go with the model that has special features like yoga, spinal relief, and muscle stretch. This way, you can make use of your chair to the fullest.
There are a lot of manufacturers that are great players in the massage chair market. Some come with a long history of expertise in this field. While others may be new to the market. When it comes to massage chairs, the brand name should not be a factor for you to make a decision.
Because you can find high-quality products from lesser known brands too, you can be a bit confused here; you are advised to go with the brand that offers good customer support service. A manufacturer that respects the customer needs, warranty and that takes care of repair expenses are the ones you should go looking for. This is going to be good for the long run.
When it comes to massage chairs, the price is determined by the quality and capability of the chair. Massage chairs come with an expensive price tag. Make sure you spend your money on the right model and is not wasting it by going for models that you cannot afford. Manage your budget accordingly. Chairs that offers multiple techniques, better designs, and various features will be costing more.
Here you can find the top 5 models of massaging chairs.
We are discussing these chairs, and you can find the advantages, features, and everything you need to know about these models:
1. LURACO TECHNOLOGIES IROBOTICS 7
Luraco iRobotics 7 is one of the best massage chair out there. It is an all-rounder when it comes to its features. This is also one of the quietest massage chair out there. It benefits those people who are stuck in a certain position. iRobotics 7 offers a wide range of shiatsu massages varying from different intensity levels under your control. In one sentence, this machine can be described as an electric full body massager providing a wide range of adjustable features, performed with complete precision. It also comes with a full body scan which helps the roller tracks to find and address a problem area individually.
Below are the features of this machine:
- This machine is one of the highly adjustable massage chairs with lots of adjustment settings. It patterns and mold itself according to the frame of a person and outputs an outstanding massage experience.
- This model can accommodate people with height up to 6’7” and the weight of about 300 pounds.
- It is FDA, and UL approved and is assembled in the US.
- It comes with a unique feature of side to side motion to relieve stiff muscles.
- This chair comes with the best kind of warranty period. It has five years in warranty on parts and a three-year warranty on labor.
- It provides intensive neck and shoulders rub and foot massages with foot rollers which relieves every tight and tensed muscle in your leg.
- This machine comes with inbuilt speakers and a music player.
- It has noise cancellation and reduction of technology.
- The chair comes with the highest number of airbags, which provides a thorough air massage.
2. HUMAN TOUCH NOVO XT
Human Touch Novo XT is another great massage recliner, which is space efficient and a wall hanger. It is perfect for small apartments and limited spaces. Space efficiency is this model’s specialty. You need only a few inches away from the wall, and it reclines smoothly. Unlike the above model, this machine lacks the feature of providing heat only to the lumbar area. This model comes with an adjustable feature for the neck, shoulder massages, and separate ones for your back and feet. It also provides zero-gravity massages and full body stretch. It has a five years warranty period on labor.
- It is compact.
- It is quite expensive but less than the above massage chair.
- It has a weight capacity of 300 pounds and can accommodate a height of 6’9”.
- This model offers a variety of 30 different features and comes with interesting features like full immersion and rocking.
- It lacks the variety of adjustment settings.
- Heat therapy is limited to the lumbar region only.
3. INFINITY IT-8500
Infinity IT-8500 is also a luxurious massage chair that holds its position in the level of iRobotics but comes in an attractive price tag. It has everything needed for a good quality recliner. What makes is differ from iRobotics is that it uses 2D roller instead of 3D rollers, even though you can find chairs with 3D rollers from the same brand. It offers features like neck and hand massage, body scanning technology, foot rollers, heat features, and many more. The main advantage of this machine is that you can have all of these features at a reasonable price.
- Affordable price tag.
- The foot rollers offer a standard massage.
- It also provides deep tissue massage.
- It comes with inbuilt audio speakers.
- This machine has an S-track instead of an L-track.
- The heating feature is limited to the lumbar region only.
4. KAHUNA LM-6800 RECLINER
Kahuna LM-6800 is a massage chair that offers a wide range of features. It is also space efficient, which needs only 5 inches away from the wall. This is quite a popular model among Amazon Recliners for the price tag. This machine is affordable and four times lesser than the above massage chairs. It provides only back massages without any additional features to manage the price tag. This chair offers an L-tack design and has features like four 2D rollers for massaging your lower body down to your glutes. The double foot rollers of this chair give you a thorough foot massage. The Yoga Body Stretch feature stretches your front portion of your body, hamstrings, and spine. The heat therapy is concentrated towards the lumbar region and the calf muscles to calm this area and improve circulation. The vibratory function of this chair seat gives you instant stress relief.
- It is the best chair under the category of $2500.
- It has 36 airbags and three levels of adjustable intensity.
- This model comes with a full body computerized scan, which helps the massagers and the rollers to fins the problem area.
- The zero gravity feature comes with three ZG positions providing a floating sensation.
- It comes with noise reduction technology.
- The fabric of the foot roller may be too thin for the massages performed.
- It is not a good fit for taller people with more than 6’.
5. OSAKI OS-4000
Osaki Os-4000 are well designed and well-built chairs that offer a range of attractive features. Manufactured in China, Osaki is a well-known brand. It is also famous among the zero gravity massage chair category. It comes at a really low price than compared to the above models. With its price range, you cannot expect a wide range of features. It comes with a limited range of features. But the features it offers are the ones that you can find in high-end massage chairs.
This zero gravity massage chair provides a full body shiatsu massage. It can be easily used for general aches and pains in the body. It also provides a vibration massage that relaxes your muscles and improves your whole body circulation.
- It has the zero gravity feature.
- It provides vibration massages.
- It offers full body shiatsu massage
- This massage chair is affordable than other models mentioned here.
- It comes with a few programs and style which you can choose from.
- It comes with a limited manual option.
- It lacks rollers and other massaging provisions for the feet.
- Heat therapy is limited to the lumbar region.
Massage chairs are a great way to reduce your stress and relieve back pain. They do not come at a low price but trust the features, and you will find every penny you spend was worth it. As you can see, many models come almost with the same price range. So get familiar with the features each model offers and choose the right you think will be great for your needs. Massage chairs should not be purchased based on its design; features is what makes a chair worth the price.
1. What is the zero gravity massage chair feature?
This feature involves reclining the chair to a position where the user’s legs are reclined above or same level as the heart. In this position, the user’s experience weightless, lowering blood pressure, and taking the pressure off the spinal column.
2. How often should I use a massage chair?
There is no limit in using massage chairs. Massage sessions are supposed to be therapeutic and relaxing. Which means you can make use of them as often you like.
3. What are S-track and L-track?
S-track massage chair is shaped in the form of the letter ‘S’ to follow the curve of the body’s spine. It may vary from model to model, but the S-track is to provide a massage that begins from your neck, extends to your torso and then to the base of your spine.
L-track massage chair is the modern chair that comes in the form of the letter ‘L.’ As the S-track chair, the massage track starts from your neck and follows the natural curve of your spine, and from there it turns to an ‘L’ shape that travels under the seat providing a massage to your glutes and backs of your thighs.
4. How much powder does a massage chair use?
A massage chair uses the same power as your desktop computer would. The power usage is inclusive of heating elements and vibrating heads.